Monday, February 1, 2016

2016 reading goals

Goooooooooal(s)! Yay!

In 2015 I completed the Read Harder Challenge, which proved to be an excellent way of finding new authors that I wouldn't have crossed paths with otherwise. For 2016, I've come up with my own list of 16 reading tasks that I want to accomplish. I'm also going to participate in The Year of Reading Women of Color at the 500 Great Books by Women group, and will be combining the two challenges to some extent. These are the tasks that I'm setting for myself, with the possible books that I'm considering so far. Ones marked with an asterisk (*) are also applicable to YoRWoC. Feel free to recommend me books for any of the categories.

1) A humorous book

2) A book that I haven't read reviews of

3) A book from a country that has been a site of war in the last 30 years
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, by Malala Yousafzai*

4) A book bought from an independent bookstore I've bought but haven't read: The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood Summer, by Edith Wharton

5) A high fantasy novel
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by N.K. Jemison*
The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson
The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss

6) A work written before the year 500 AD

7) A play

8) A mystery

9) A book that takes place in South America
The House of the Spirits, by Isabel Allende*

10) A book in a series that I've started but not finished
Home, by Marilynne Robinson (I've read books 3 and 1, in that order, but not 2)
The Diviners, by Libba Bray (I've read book 2 but not book 1. What's the matter with you, self?)
The Telling, by Ursula Le Guin (Need to brush up my Le Guin fangirl cred by reading something from the Hainish Cycle other than the two most popular volumes)

11) A banned or challenged book
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker*
Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison*

12) A manga
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1, by Hiromu Arakawa*

13) An essay collection

14) A book by a woman of color (x12, may overlap with other categories)
The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy*
Fledgling, by Octavia Butler*
Who Fears Death, by Nnedi Okorafor*

15) A book that my parents own The Epic of Gilgamesh, by Anonymous*

16) A book that I probably should have read in high school
1984, by George Orwell
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment