Thursday, August 13, 2015

Combining two of my favorite things in the coffee book tag!

I changed up some questions from the original, because there are too many books and coffees in the world for these questions to always stay the same. :)

1. Black coffee: Name a book or series that’s tough to get into but has hardcore fans.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clark

I think a lot of people get put off just by the look of this book: it's 1,000+ pages long and the cover isn't the most eye-catching. Some people who start on it find that the pacing isn't quite what they're looking for, and they get annoyed by the footnotes for making it feel like a history book. But, those who get drawn in really get drawn in, becoming immersed in the witty, eerie, epic story of magicians in the nineteenth century. Fans will argue that it's one of the most original and well-written fantasy novels around, and I tend to agree. 

2. Iced coffee: Name a book that goes well with summertime. 
A Room With a View, by E.M. Forster

Summer, for me, is a time for exploration and open air, and this book gently but urgently pulls the reader along that path. 

3. Hot chocolate: What is your favorite children’s book?

The Magician's Nephew, by C.S. Lewis 

All the Narnia books were really important to me as a kid because it was the first series that I became obsessed with. I had a couple different favorites over the years, but the one that has stayed in that position the longest is this sweetly mystical prelude. 

4. Double shot of espresso: Name a book that kept you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

Maus, by Art Spiegelman

I randomly picked this up at a bookstore one evening and started on it when I got home. And then... I stayed up all night reading, because I couldn't rest without knowing what was going to happen. 

5. Starbucks: Name a book you see everywhere.


Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

Seems like everyone has read, is reading, or is planning to read it. As wary as I am of hyped-up books (thaaaaanks to past disappointments), I might find my way onto the bandwagon at some point because my nerdy, game-loving heart really wants to see what all the fuss is about. 

6. That hipster coffee shop: Give a book by an indie author a shoutout.


Akaela, by EE Giorgi 

It accomplishes the difficult feat of being a YA dystopian novel that stands out from the crowd. 

7. Oops! I accidentally got decaf: Name a book you were expecting more from.

The Golem and Jinni, by Helene Wecker

On the surface, this book seemed perfect for me: folklore, magic, and history, all wrapped up in a wonderfully heavy package under a luminous cover (just look at that thing!). And yet, it ended up feeling like a generic romance story inhabited by characters who often seemed flat and interchangeable. Interestingly, this book gets likened to Jonathan Strange a lot, but they had pretty opposite effects on me. 

8. The perfect blend: Name a book or series that was both bitter and sweet but ultimately satisfying.

Dogsbody, by Diana Wynne Jones

Most people who know of DWJ remember her for the sweet, fun adventure stories, which is partly what this book is too. The surprise, though, is how stark and bitter it is, dealing with racism, violence, and cycles of betrayal. But it's ultimately satisfying - because when you heartbrokenly reach the end, you know you've witnessed something rare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment